In Sapa, Vietnam

In Sapa, Vietnam

About Me

My photo
Sharing time between Southampton and Noyal-Muzillac in southern Brittany. Sports coach, gardener, hockey player, cyclist and traveller. I studied an MA in Management and Organisational Dynamics at Essex University in 2016-17. Formerly an Operations Manager with NEC Technologies (UK) Ltd.

Saturday 14 February 2015

Things that make me stop

Walking today:      3.9km
Swimming today: 1.25km

Walking this month:     58.4km
Swimming this month: 4.05km

Walking Year To Date:      142.1km
Swimming Year To Date:    13.1km

Sometimes things happen that make me stop whatever I'm doing and either watch or think, I can't remember doing that so much before I came out here but maybe it was just a function of different life, different priorities and less time. 

So, from today in no order of priority the following made me stop:

The cold weather broke with a strong southerly gale and a massive hail storm, I was working under the newly re-roofed hanger where, before Gérard replaced the roof and fitted the guttering, a storm would lead to a huge cascade of water pouring off the roof and onto the driveway. Quickly the water starting coming off the roof just like old times, just before I dialled my roofer I remembered he was away skiing and I went into the Barn to see exactly what the problem was. The problem was ....... the gutters were full of hailstones and blocked. Never seen that before.

After the storm I was out on the field in a 40kph wind and a Kestral was hovering over the grass - completely stationary without beating its wings, staying where it was by simply adjusting its wing positions. No idea how they can do that.

And on our way to swimming we passed a well-dressed girl aged about 12 standing at the end of our lane thumbing a lift. Don't see that often - or ever in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment