In Sapa, Vietnam

In Sapa, Vietnam

About Me

My photo
Sharing time between Southampton and Noyal-Muzillac in southern Brittany. Sports coach, gardener, hockey player, cyclist and traveller. I studied an MA in Management and Organisational Dynamics at Essex University in 2016-17. Formerly an Operations Manager with NEC Technologies (UK) Ltd.

Monday 17 January 2011

Sport – a universal language?


Yesterday I did something that I hadn’t done for twenty-nine years ; I played my first game for a new hockey club. Having played for such a long time at Camberley and become well-established within the club it has been a very different experience being the new player again. Especially in a different language that I’m still struggling to link more than two sentences together coherently.

La Baule Olympic Hockey Club (BOHC to its friends) is the club situated the furthest west in the league Pays de La Loire; it may also be the most westerly club in France. So it’s a bit out on a limb and I wasn’t at all sure what I would find when I made contact with Adrien on Facebook. After a friendly and enthusiastic message back I went along to training on Thursday, instead of the 15 minute drive I’ve been used to I had to cover 48km to get to La Baule. I had a worrying moment when I couldn’t remember where my sticks were but I managed to find them under a lawnmower in the barn. And, of course, I haven’t done any competitive exercise for well over six months – not exactly the best preparation for a two hour session that seemed to be all running. Friday was not a good morning.

Adrien told me that La Baule had fourteen adult players registered (at Camberley we had seventy) and so I was really pleased to find a very good standard of play, excellent facilities and, best of all, very friendly and enthusiastic people. All sports players at any competitive level in France have to be licencié and as I am un jouer étrangére I have to have a special foreign player’s licence. The licensing process is sensible (it includes a doctor’s declaration that I am fit to play and not likely to keel over in the middle of a match) however, this being France, it’s not simple. So I had to sign a declaration d’honneur that I hadn’t played abroad in the last 30 days and that I wouldn’t play abroad at the same time I was playing for a French club. My French isn’t up to “you must be joking, what do you think my legs are made of” so I signed and Patrice, the club chairman, had to countersign. Then it goes to the Féderation Français Hockey for authorisation (I have a vision of them solemnly checking for my International playing record ……..).

BOHC had a competitive tournament on Sunday and I went along to watch and sign my forms. I’ve noticed that often, at least in this part of France,  people are very proactive at introducing themselves to strangers and a series of players I hadn’t met on Thursday, supporters and relatives of players came over and spoke to me. The President of the La Baule Sports Club (Rugby, Basketball, Volleyball, Handball …..) came over and welcomed me in English - I was really made to feel part of the scene.

BOHC played well in their first game and beat Le Mans 3-1. Their second opponents, Rennes, didn’t turn up so a match amicable was arranged against Angers. As it wasn’t competitive, and I did have my playing gear in the car, I turned out for La Baule wearing my new blue kit. Despite my linguistic limitations (I know only stick, ball, pass, goalkeeper and tackle in French) I was able to contribute fully and play within the team. I’ve read before that the rules of sport transcend language and that’s always been an abstract concept for me, yesterday I found out what it really means.

Allez Les Bleus, allez BOHC !!

No comments:

Post a Comment