In Sapa, Vietnam

In Sapa, Vietnam

About Me

My photo
Sharing time between Southampton and Noyal-Muzillac in southern Brittany. Sports coach, gardener, hockey player, cyclist and traveller. I studied an MA in Management and Organisational Dynamics at Essex University in 2016-17. Formerly an Operations Manager with NEC Technologies (UK) Ltd.

Monday 10 January 2011

Bon and Bonne ....


Some of our new Vocabulary:
“Bon Courage” – there are lots of French phrases with no real direct translation into English, many of them start with Bon(ne) (bonne route, bon appetit etc.). Everyone who’s been to deliver anything, give us a devis (=quote), read a meter, install anything or just drop in to see us has left by saying “Bon courage”. At first I thought it meant “good luck, keep at it”.

Now I know it means “You Rosbifs really are crazy doing all this yourselves” ;o)

From last week I also have another interesting example of adding bon/bonne to a phrase:

"Bon plantation" - at the checkout of the local nursery after buying the first ten fruit trees. Literally (I think) "good planting".

No comments:

Post a Comment