In Sapa, Vietnam

In Sapa, Vietnam

About Me

My photo
Sharing time between Southampton and Noyal-Muzillac in southern Brittany. Sports coach, gardener, hockey player, cyclist and traveller. I studied an MA in Management and Organisational Dynamics at Essex University in 2016-17. Formerly an Operations Manager with NEC Technologies (UK) Ltd.

Saturday 6 February 2016

Linguistic Labours

I'm not sure that some of the guys at the hockey club would agree but my French language has improved in the six years we've been here. I'm past the "what did they say in French; what's that in English; what do I want to say in reply; what's that in French; how do I say that without using the word in French I can't remember?"

One thing that wasn't taught on my language course was how to argue in French. I'm not proficient yet but sometimes I get a good run-up at a row.

After the voltage surge damage we had a company out to assess if the expensive items were repairable. Things didn't look good when it took the repairman 20 minutes to work out how to get into the fridge electronics. He then disappeared with a scrap of paper with part and serial numbers written down. And then nothing .....

So I called his boss who told me he couldn't get the part because the fridge had been bought in the UK: 

"Have you tried Electrolux France, they have the same product with a different part number?"
"I don't get my parts from Electrolux"
"Perhaps that's why you can't find the part then. Britain is in Europe you know, it's not Australia"

I did of course find the part from Electrolux and fitted it myself, the fridge works fine now.

And, of course, Britain is still in Europe as I write this ......

No comments:

Post a Comment